Thursday, January 17, 2008

13 things I know, 2nd Thursday 13 on this blog

Today for Thursday Thirteen I am listing 13 things I know.


1. I know that my parents love me and believe I can achieve anything I want to.

2. I know that I am not patient, though I am WAYYYYY more patient than I was in 1999 when I started working for the division of youth corrections. That job changed me more for the better than any other single experience.

3. I know that the polar ice caps are melting too fast and this is not a good thing. http://www.nrdc.org/globalWarming/qthinice.asp

4. Maya Angelou said "If someone tells you who they are believe them."

People tell you who they are through their actions and through their words. Many times I have heard the words and seen the actions and still WANTED to believe that a person was different than what they were telling me. In every case I have been proven wrong and people have stayed true to who they say they are. Sometimes it is easier to see this in retrospect.

5. I know that I have a wonderful spouse who has seen my light and who loves my dark.

6. I know that I have a thirty year mortgage. We waited a long time before we bought a house. We may have missed out on some good opportunities, but we are happy where we are and look forward to making improvements on our home. They will take 30 years.

7. I know that I am a lesbian. People treat me differently because of this. How do I know? Because I was an adult before I ever "came out" and so I have lived as a "straight" woman. People have treated me differently because of what they THINK I am and what they THINK I do. Some people who meet me for the first time judge me before they know anything about me and some people who have known me all my life act as though I have changed. It is a part of the fabric of my life and I don't resent it. I know that I resent a culture where children are taught that others who are different are bad, wrong, evil or "less than" everyone else. I don't care if someone hates me when they know me. I am not always agreeable.

8. I know that having "good teeth" is underestimated in this world. Having bad teeth is a pain (literally) and expensive.

9. I know that this year Shel and I will adopt our M and be parents - not just foster parents - for the very first time. We have waited a LONG time to be parents and it didn't happen in the way we wanted it to. I know that Shel would still like a daughter.

10. I know the the death penalty is not a deterrent to crime. Innocent people have been put to death and guilty people have gone free.

11. I know how to cross stitch.

12. I know that music and laughter are integral to my life.

13. I know that I have a lot to learn.

No comments: