Thursday, January 3, 2008

2007 Year In Review

Hi, folks!I have never done a year in review post, but as I have been looking around at other blogs I have seen a variety of them. I like the idea of doing a year in review and I have even considered doing one before now, but I have to say that I haven't found one I really liked (to copy) and I didn't like the idea of just going month by month and writing what happened in each.
So here is a "survey" I found on http://tiffanyaller.blogspot.com/ and I have copied it to fill in myself - I did adapt some of the questions to be a bit more relevant to me.

Here you go.
1. What did you do in 2007 that you'd never done before?
We bought a house this year. I have never done it before, but I highly recommend it - in spite of the mortgage!
2. Did you keep your New Year's resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I'm not a huge fan of the new year resolution thing as it seems to be a let down for me. I did decide with Shel tonight to sign up for this 888 reading thing and I had already decided to read the Pulitzer Prize winners, so I am not sure if that counts for a New Years resolution. I read anyway and it seems to me that saying reading is my resolution would be akin to saying "this year I resolve to breathe."
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
No-one close to me gave birth, but I don't frequent maternity wards. Damien's mother gave birth, she's the only one I know of. Shoot - I better say my Cousin david had a baby. I don't know if any other cousins had kids, but I don't think so.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
My nan passed away this year. I would say that she is the closest person to me ever to die. I miss her dreadfully and think of her often.
5. What countries did you visit?
I didn't visit any countries this year because #1 I didn't have a passport and #2 Shel couldn't leave the country until late this summer. I DID go to the US border, but I got out on the Canadian side and waited while my brother drove across, did a U-turn and cam back and picked me up, bringing Shel with him and officially "LANDING" her as a resident. YAHOOOO!
6. What would you like to have in 2008 that you lacked in 2007?
Mexican food - this relates to #5 and my inability to leave the country in 2007.
7. What date from 2007 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
Date... Hmn. I'm not one to really remember dates apparently since nothing is coming to my mind. Probably moving into our new house at the end of September - was it October? LOL
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
I think "our" biggest achievement was getting the immigration done for Shel. We still have some things to wrap up but it has been a LONG and arduous process and we are HAP HAP HAPPY it is over.
9. What was your biggest failure? I neglected my family for work.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury? I've had sinus infection, migraines etc. Shel was REALLY sick in 2007. I have had knee problems and lumpage, but that's all.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
I won't say "the house" because even thought it was probably overall the single best purchase, what I was most PROUD of buying and had a lot of fun buying were the presents for Shel's birthday. 50 presents for her 50th birthday.
12. Whose behaviour merited celebration?
We have celebrated the behavior of M as he has grown and developed this year. We also celebrated with Sierra, one of our foster kids who brought much joy and lots of laughter into our home.
13. Whose behaviour made you appalled and depressed?
I think politicians in general have appalled and depressed me. I think GW should be locked away for life at Guantanamo Bay for War crimes, and his cell mate should be our esteemed Canadian Prime Minister.
14. Where did most of your money go ? After paying outrageous prices at the gas pump thanks to George and company... Here is a story for you. We were in Costco and this lady came to try and sell us this advanced membership thing. I said I wasnt interested only five bazillion times and she kept saying "why?" "why?" I made some comment about how we didn't spend enough thre to make it worth the money back blah blah schpeel she was giving and she asked to see my card and pulled up how much money we had spent in the last few months there. ARUGA! My eyes bugged out of my head like I was a cartoon. We spent a LOT of money at Costco!
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about? Getting back into school, getting good grades.
16. What song will always remind you of 2007? For as large a part in my life as music plays, I don`t think there`s one song that will remind me of 2007. Everytime I hear the soundtrack to Annie I will think of work this year where we sang songs from Annie everytime this Annie look alike walked by the office.
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
i. happier or sadder? happier
ii. thinner or fatter? same
iii. richer or poorer? richer - not in money really but we are paying a mortgage now instead of rent which feels more stable. ( a 30 year morgage thanks)
18. What do you wish you'd done more of? probably travelling, hanging in the mountains, spending time with Zuva. I feel like I am neglecting her. I think I would also like to sleep more.
19. What do you wish you'd done less of? work. I work too much and never take good vacations. I always feel I have to stop in at work, or read my work e-mail or call someone about work. This holiday I had an AWESOME Christmas with my family and it reminded me of how much I have missed out on just "being" here.
20. How will you be spending Christmas? I spent Chrismas with my family, not on call and just hanging out in our new place. M and I laughed EVERY day of the vacation.
21. Craziest Dream of the year? I am usually better at remembering my dreams and I can't think of one right now. I have dreamt of people from my past a few times - most recently last night when I dreamt I was in a play and trying to memorize lines.
22. Did you fall in love in 2007? I fell in love with M over and over and over - especially when he laughs.
23. Best trip of the year? The quickest trip was to Banff, but we saw good friends and ate good food and the mountains make me happy. It was totally worth it (but I didn't think so as we were driving home with a screaming baby!) Driving to the border and back was a stressful trip but one we have waited for for a LONG time and totally worth it.
24. What was your favorite TV program? Life
25. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year? I hate all the same people. LOL. I don't think I HATE as a general rule. There are a few people who make it to that list, but no-one new this year.
26. What was the best book you read? Sheesh, that's a hard one. I read some crappy books this year. I would have to say "Prep" by Curtis Sittenfeld was up there in the top group.
27. What was your greatest musical discovery? I don`t think I `discovered`anything muscally. I listen to a few newer bands and I like Headly.
28. What did you want and get? pruning tools and an MP3 player
29. What did you want and not get? more Asterix comics? I got a lot of everything I wanted except probably "big ticket" items like quads, snowmobiles, ride on mowers etc.
30. What was your favorite film of this year? An old movie which I saw for the first time this year - "Bound" and probably Bourne Supremacy.
31. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you? On my birthday I was 1 year older than last year.
32.What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying? um.... I don`t have an answer to this question. I think maybe if Shel had felt better and would not have been so sick the year would have been more satisfying for us.
33. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2007? I am likely to be arrested by the fashion police but they couldn't find my house. Today I wore socks that matched my shirt and my co-workers were stunned. I agree it took me all of my vacation to come up with my ensemble.
34. What kept you sane in 2007? I had a pretty sane year. Maybe it was the valium. ha ha.
35. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most? P!nk. or Neve. or Sandra. Or Angelina..
36. What political issue stirred you the most? The alleged war on terror
37. Who did you miss? Nana and Sierra after she left our home.
38. Who was the best new person you met? If I could pick only one I would have to pick two. Doug and Kirsten in my new class.
39. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2007: well. I learned that if you don`t learn your lesson the first time it will come again so you get another shot at it. It`s better to learn it first time around - especially if it is a difficult or annoying lesson - or you get the bugger again and again.
40. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year: I`m not ready to make nice, I`m not ready to back down. I'm mad as hell and I don't have time to go round and round and round.
41. Did you get a tattoo this year? Why yes, yes I did thanks for asking. Man I love tattoos. I have a new tattoo on the back of my right leg. It is a celtic design of a thistle in purple, green and blue.
42. Biggest challenge of the year? At work the biggest challenge was staffing turnovers in my departments which were horrendous but we broke on through to the other side. At home the biggest challenge was TWO house moves in less than ten months.
43. Who was the best "old" friend you met? This was the year of facebook for me so I was happy to become "reaquainted" with many friends from my past. Probably the best for me were a boy from junior high in Nova Scotia and a girl from high school in Saskatoon.

1 comment:

Tiffany Aller said...

I'm so glad you enjoyed this survey! :-) Thanks for visiting my site, and Happy New Year!