Thursday, March 6, 2008

things I wont do

Since mothering M, I have found that my tolerance for all thinks "icky" has become quite well developed.
I was formerly squeemish. However, I have found that my love for the man makes moments when he holds out his grubby fingers, covered in slobber, with something to put in my mouth, endearing rather than revolting. I still can't stop to think about it too long or I have to turn away, but I do manage to eat a lot of things he offers, most things in fact.
I can
1. eat from his fingers
2. share my drink cup with him
3. change his diaper even though he waits for the most opportune "wiping" moment and rolls away from me
4. kiss his open mouth - which he now offers for kisses at bedtime

and yet... there is still a "LINE" which I cannot approach.
We bathe together nightly and he recently pooped in the tub. Pooped. Fecal matter.
At the first sight of the offending floater, this mom is OUT of there.

Just like they tell you on an airline when giving directions for using oxygen masks in case of emergency. Take care of yourself first and the children afterwards. I am getting the HECK out of dodge and when I have come to my faculties I rescue M from fecal water.

1 comment:

Melanie said...

It amazes me too, since I have become a mom, what I can stand. Things that would make me gag with another child do not bother me at all with my own.