Friday, August 8, 2008

olympics: synchronized swimming

The 2008 Olympics started today. I love the olympics. I love to watch a lot of sports, and I particularly enjoy watching the olympics. Some of the sports I take more pleasure in watching and I honestly don't watch them all. One sport which makes me laugh is synchronized swimming. Don't get me wrong, I can appriciate the athleticism of these ladies (why are they always ladies?)
I once went to deep water aquasize and I had an asthma attack, swallowed water and almost drowned "WITH" a floatation device on trying to kick and lift my shoulders above the water. I know these swimmers are athletes. I laugh though because really - the glitter and noseplugs?


Because the cameras are on they keep their sparkling eyes open and smile UNDERWATER with creepy noseplugs. What is not funny about that?


1 comment:

a synchronized swimmer said...

1) noseclips are necessary. how about you go and try to flip upside down in the water, see how fun getting it up your nose is for you.
2) ....? how does glitter make an incredibly difficult sport "funny". is it "funny" to you that these girls work their asses of? is it "funny" that they sacrifice all the normal pleasures of life to train? is it "funny" that, even while performing these incredibly difficult, taxing movements, they have the sheer control and willpower to keep a smile on their face and their eyes open to maintain the entertainment factor of the sport (because nobody wants to see gasping, grimacing swimmers)? i don't think it's funny, and moreover, i think it is highly ignorant and downright disrespectful of you to mock what these girls have given everything for just because their outfits sparkle and they put on a smile for spectators such as yourself. not so funny.