Sunday, February 15, 2009

Pyromaniac

I have to admit I am a bit of a pyromaniac. I love fire. I love lighting fire, I love playing with fire.
As a result of this I have been very careful in my life not to light fireworks. One reason is because I KNOW I will fall in love with them and spend LOTS of money on them.

The other is because I tend to be as much of a klutz as I am a pyro. I know my luck and I know that I am likely to set a field on fire or something with my fire making tendencies, so I try to "reign them in" as much as possible.

Last night I had some fireworks. I have been ITCHING to set them off for ages and finally I thought I would do it.

The instructions on the first said to light it and then start 15 meters away. I lit it, but I don't know how far 15 meters was so I was running away (trying to be very diligent about following the instructions) but and unfortunately my back was turned when it went off and I completely missed it.

The second set of instructions said to stand 30 meters away and to bury the firework half way up in sand or dirt. Because it is the middle of the winter I don't have any sand or dirt readily available I thought if I buried it in a snow bank that would work just as well.

The first one went off without a hitch and it was great. The snowbank didn't hold it upright though and the thing fell over and started shooting fireworks at the house. I thought it was quite funny - I was just a "little" nervous that one would explode in the back of the van where my souse was unloading groceries. Somehow she didn't think it was funny to be unloading groceries with fireworks going off all around her. The snow made them look cool though.

When we came inside I explained that the snow hadn't held up the canister. My spouse pointed out that the heat from the fireworks probably melted the snow all around the canister.
OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. Of course! I didn't even think of it!

I will admit it was fun though. I might have to look into getting some more.

No comments: