Tuesday, June 16, 2009

jon and kate

I have been watching what is allegedly happening with Jon and Kate Gosselin as I stand in the line at the grocery store and read the covers of gossip magazines. I have been listening to the opinions of many as to who is at fault, what is the problem with the relationship etc.
I feel sorry for the family regardless of the situation. I think living your life under constant television scrutiny would be unimaginably difficult. I think having your life "edited" for television viewing would be frustrating and tiresome. I am guilty of tuning into the show and contributing to it's popularity, but after last night I have to say I am getting off the Gosselin train.
I'm just not watching anymore.
This family has become famous for having children. There are quite a few people in this world who have had children and few of them are famous for having done so. We live in such a unique culture, which I think is quite sad, where people are made famous for no "legitimate" reason.
If I were in their shoes would I have turned down a tummy tuck? Probably not. Hair implants? Hopefully I would never need them. I think this family has had the blessing of a life and opportunities because of the fact they agreed to be on television and now the fact they ARE on television has created all kinds of difficulties for them. But let's face it. They have had SOOOO many more opportunities than most other families in the USA and even around the world.
Last night I watched the show half on mute while I rocked the baby and so I can honestly say I do not know the whole situation, but I was irritated by it and hence I am writing about it now.
It appeared to me as though Jon got a motorcycle from Orange County Choppers. Now I don't know if he was given the bike, or if he purchased the bike, but I really don't care. If he was given the bike I think it is a shame. If he purchased the bike then I think he is biting the hand that feeds him - he apparently hates all the media attention and the fact they are still being filmed at all - but it is the show, his wife's books and touring, that have provided the kind of money it would take to get a custom bike made from Orange County Choppers.
Last week Kate was taken to the Ace of Cakes show where her kids toured and made cakes and she had a special cake made for her. Again, an opportunity afforded to them ONLY because of who they are.
I don't know if there is anyone to "blame" for the demise of the relationship. I think having multiples is ridiculously difficult. I think being on television must be just as hard. The media is having a ball painting Jon as the "hen pecked husband" and Kate as this overbearing, out of control "bitch". I think there is WAY more to the story than that. Life isn't always so cut and dried.
I'm simply stepping off the fan belt. I think it's time for the show to end and the family to work out whatever they will. Hopefully more people will "tune out", but we are too addicted to the drama. How sad.

1 comment:

Teena in Toronto said...

I never heard of Jon and Kate 'til all this gossip started. So I guess it's working ...