Tuesday, June 23, 2009

ten on tuesday: ten favorite sports plays ever

I have to admit, this topic will be a little tough for me because as much as I LOVE sports, I don't really have favorite plays in my mind that stick out above others.

I will do my best, but I doubt I can come up with ten.



#1. When Ben Johnson won the 100 meters in the 1988 Olympics I was THRILLED. I was devastated that he tested positive for steroids and that his medal was stripped from him. I feel especially bad knowing how much doping is a part of athletics and seeing how others have "fallen" as a result of their being on steroids. Sammy Sosa was on steroids when he broke home run records, and it seems like it is typical for MOST athletes who have such success to be taking performance enhancing drugs. Unfortunately the testing isn't mandatory and so we will never know the "real" ability of these athletes.



#2. I was in the crowd at the BYU vs Miami football game when Ty Detmer was the quarterback for BYU and they upset Miami who was ranked #1 in the nation. Being a part of that crowd was a thrill, even though I cannot recall one specific "play" it was a great game and a great season for BYU.



#3. Though it wasn't a favorite moment it was absolutely a memorable moment when Greg Louganis hit his head on the diving board in the Olympics. I happened to be watching when that happened. OUCH. Diving makes me nervous, and not just because of the speedos.



#4. Williams sisters playing against one another in the Wimbledon Final.

OK. Well It looks like I got four. I am brain dead, or it could be the mucus build up in my sinuses that is causing brain cramp.

No comments: