Tuesday, August 4, 2009

meme again! Books this time.

I really need to thank Popping Bubbles, without whom there would be two less postings on this blog this week already. I am such a thief. And I apologise in advance for the stupid spacing on this post, I have tried to fix it twice and it still posts wierd. SORRY!


Popping Bubbles got this one from Canned Laughter.

I love love love love love reading and books and so I thought I would give this meme a shot. We'll see how it goes.


1) What author do you own the most books by?

I own a LOT of Enid Blyton books, thanks to my parents who helped to indulge my children's book buying "thing".

2) What book do you own the most copies of?

I try not to own too many copies of anything, if I do it is accidental. I think we have Tara Road by Maeve Binchy that I buy whenever I see it thinking I want to read it and then it turns out I have.
3) Did it bother you that both those questions ended with prepositions? Not so much until I re-read them!
5) What book have you read the most times in your life?

Wow. I have read a lot of books over and over again. The one I like to read the most is probably To Kill A Mockingbird.
6) What was your favorite book when you were ten years old?

Shoot. I don't even know what country I was in when I was ten... Let's see. I was starting to read the classics then - my nan bought me Great Expectations which I loved.
7) What is the worst book you’ve read in the past year? Here is my dilemma with books. I have SUCH a hard time putting something down when I have started it, even if I hate it and it takes me SOOO long to finish when I should just put it down and read something I want, something better. The worst book I read was the one by Jenny McCarthy - about her son and autism. It was HORRIBLY written and she should have just paid someone else to write it for her and spared the pain of the rest of us who slogged through it.

8 ) What is the best book you’ve read in the past year? I would say it has been Middlesex and I hope I read it in the past year - if not then it has been the past 18 months anyway.

9) If you could force everyone you tagged to read one book, what would it be?

I am not tagging anyone, but if I were I would have a LOT of difficulty thinking of just one book to recommend. ONE?! REALLY!? I think everyone should read the Bible. For real. So they know what it is about.



What happened to number ten?



11) What book would you most like to see made into a movie?

I have never seen a book I liked made into a movie that is comparable. It would be cool to maybe see an animated version of the Faraway Tree by Enid Blyton.
12) What book would you least like to see made into a movie?

They have pretty much been done already haven't they - and all done horribly. I would say Middlesex because Hollywood slaughtered Running with Scissors.

13) What is the most lowbrow book you’ve read as an adult?

Lowbrow? What is considered Lowbrow? I read lots of mass produced paperbacks, so I probably read lots of lowbrow books. LOL.

14) What is the most difficult book you’ve ever read?

I would say Atlas Shrugged. I got through the first 3/4 easily and then something happened and finishing was painful.

15) Do you prefer the French or the Russians?

Probably the French
16) Roth or Updike? Updike

17) David Sedaris or Dave Eggers? Haven't read either! ack!

18) Shakespeare, Milton, or Chaucer?

Not Milton. I love Shakespeare but I enjoy Chaucer also. I can't say honestly that I pick up either of them for a "fun read".
19) Austen or Eliot? Austen.
20) What is the biggest or most embarrassing gap in your reading?

Being in school and having babies has created gaps in the kind of reading I LIKE to do, but I read pretty much everyday.
21) What is your favorite novel? I have lots that I like. I like Alvin Maker by Orson Scott Card and I like The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd. This question is way too hard.
22) Essay? I don't really read essays except for class and I am not pulling out my class notes to find one to recommend!

23) Work of nonfiction? Hmn. I am looking forward to reading an autobiography of Jane Goodall which I have high hopes for. I enjoyed Infidel by Ayaan Hirsi Ali, and I have been on a bit of a kick reading about boy soldiers from Africa.
24) Who is your favorite writer? Probably Orson Scott Card is up there, but also Wilbur Smith.

25) What is your desert island book? I might take Anne Rice's Mayfair Witches Trilogy and give them a re-read.

26) What are you reading right now? Oh something by George Pelecanos that I picked up at the Library last week. I just finished Portobello by Ruth Rendell.
27) What fictional character are you secretly in love with?

28 ) Who deserves to win the next Nobel Prize for Literature?

Someone may shoot me for saying this but I am going to say J.K. Rowling. I think she actually convinced people to read that would not have otherwise done so. I don't know of anyone else who has written someone that got "non-readers" to say - "Hey I should pick up that book". But parents read to kids and kids read and I think it created readers.

29) Describe your weirdest dream involving a writer, book, or literary character.

I can't recall a dream involving books or characters or writers.
30) What is the most obscure Shakespeare play you’ve seen? We went to the Shakespeare festival in Cedar City and we didn't see a Shakespeare play! I haven't really seen an obscure one.

31) Favorite Poem? Emily Dickinson
It dropped so low in my Regard

I heard it hit the Ground

And go to pieces on the Stones

At bottom of my Mind



Yet blamed the Fate that flung it less

Than I denounced Myself,

For entertaining Plated Wares

Upon my Silver Shelf



32) Favorite Short story? I am not really a Short story fan, but one that has stuck with me forever is The Lottery by Shirley Jackson

33) Who is the most overrated writer alive today? Oh, I don't know. Dan Brown? Salman Rushdie?

1 comment:

Joie at Canned Laughter said...

I am so with you on Dan Brown. Love your profile!