Thursday, January 28, 2010

parenting alone

I have been a believer always that people who parent alone are amazing. I find it difficult to manage parenting even with a partner because I lack all the skills that seem to make parents "good" at what they do.
Don't get me wrong. I can change a diaper, bath a kid, feed a kid, sometimes dress a kid (depends on the kid) and I am AWESOME at playing with a kid. I just can't seem to do it all in a manner that fits into the time schedule of the rest of the world. It seems as though as soon as I try to get the kids out the door that all my skills evaporate. I cannot get anywhere on time (and that is something that causes me IMMENSE amounts of stress).
So, my spouse has to leave for seven days next month. It will be the longest we have been apart in six years since we were reunited in Canada when we moved from the states. It will be the longest she has been away from the kids and the longest i have looked after them alone. She asked me the other day if I could handle it and of course I CAN, but that didn't stop me from laying awake all night last night wondering how in the world I am going to manage!