Monday, January 24, 2011

What's Butch - and what do I like about it.... (part uno)

An interesting question posed on the blog of the  Bookish Butch, "tell me what you like about butch".
And before I begin let me just clarify that I am not referring to "Butch" the husband of my friend Tari, but "butch" as in (from Wikipedia) butch and femme are LGBT terms describing respectively, masculine and feminine traits, behavior, style, expression, self-perception and so on.

I am not a fan in any way of the labels butch and femme. They are too broad, to easy to misinterpret, too misunderstood.

Let's face it. I am a gay person living in a VERY, VERY straight world. I know that there is this "need" for people to understand my relationship to my spouse and part of this need is to try and fit us into these roles of male and female. I have been predominantly put into the "role" of the male, the butch,  (my in-laws before they even met me asked my spouse who was the new "uncle") and I like it not one whit.

I don't identify as a male, nor do I find excessive masculine traits in a woman appealing. Having said that....


Have you ever seen the movie "Bound"?
DAMN Corky is hot!
There is some definite appeal to butchiness. Without a doubt.

1 comment:

Teena in Toronto said...

Alas, that's a movie I've never gotten around to watching.