Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Pet peeves

Something I do on occasion here on my ol blogeroo is fill out a meme. I like em, some people loathe them, some people say they aren't "real" blogs, but I fill them out anyway.

One of the things I've come across a number of time is the question "What is your pet peeve?" I can never seem to think of anything and I smile to myself and give myself a little pat on the back for being so imperturbable and then a second goes by and I laugh out loud because "imperturbable" is the LAST word I - or anyone that knows me -  would use to describe myself. I end up thinking that my pet peeve is being asked to write down what my pet peeve is.

Thanks to the local radio station, which I listen to for about 40 minutes per day from Monday to Friday, I have come up with something definitive to write down as a pet peeve. Only I don't want to wait until the next time I come across a meme to fill out that asks me the question, so I am dedicating an entire blog to the topic right now while it is fresh in my mind.

Recently there was a competition in which the total combined amount of all prizes was ten thousand dollars. The first prize was 5 thousand, the second prize three  thousand and the third prize, two.  The commercial said "What would YOU do with ten grand?" Here's the thing. You wouldn't get ten grand if you did win. So why make it sound as though you would?

The ad is long gone, and I haven't heard it for a while but I was reminded of it on the SAME radio station where the DJ's were talking about the lottery this week and asking people what they would do if they won 100 million dollars. The lottery draw was for one prize of 50 million and 50 prizes of 1 million. NO SINGLE WINNER would win 100 million.

Why does this irritate me so much? I have NO idea. I am SOOOO far from being zen. I think I need to start meditating on the way to work instead of listening to the radio.