Friday, August 24, 2012

Art Banner

This week at work is "PD week". 
Usually I endure this week with a pasted on smile and my teeth grinding. With students arriving in just a few short weeks we are knees to the wall with insane last minute work that needs to be done and when PD week rolls around it seems like everyone is busy doing sessions and no-one is in their respective offices and I cannot reach anyone to get any work done if it requires support form other departments.
Sessions in the past have usually been on topics like planning for retirement, First Aid, and other BORING topics which I have avoided like the plague.
THIS year there were some AWESOME sessions planned and I have unclenched my teeth and joined in!
One session was art banners. I missed the first day so I took my banner home to get started on it and joined in on the second day. I haven't finished it yet but I am loving every single solitary minute of it. Here is my progress.
 
 Of course as soon as I cleaned off the kitchen table and laid out my paper I had company.

 
 This is the first time I have ever painted a banner. WE used acrylic paint and according to the instructor I have very nice line work, but I am too slow and my paint is drying on the palette before I can get it onto the banner. It is very hard for me to move faster. I tried!

 I wanted to leave the roots of the tree blank, but learned the entire banner has to be painted. I don't know why I didn't paint just straight white - I just thought of that now?
DUH.


This is as far as I was able to get done in the time that I had. I have the banner with me now to complete, and I am going to get some colors from the dollar store that they didn't have in the session.
I will keep you posted on my progress!

2 comments:

Michelle said...

That looks awesome!!!

Teena in Toronto said...

Looks great! I bet the kitty was a big help!