Monday, February 9, 2015

52 weeks of Gratitude. Week 5. Something someone gave me


When I was 12 years old my family moved from Zimbabwe to Canada. As a parting gift my nana gave each of the grandkids a St. Christopher’s medallion and necklace. I wore it constantly until we moved to Sydney, Nova Scotia. In an incident one morning waiting for the school bus, the necklace broke and the charm was lost. I was devastated.
I was neither raised Catholic, nor believing in the intersession of saints, however this medallion has come to have very personal meaning to me.  My medallion depicts the saint carrying the Christ child on his shoulders across turbulent waters, with the words “Saint Christopher Protect Us.” People often wear medals as pendants in devotion to Saint Christopher and to invoke his blessing. St. Christopher is viewed as a saint of protection, particularly for protection during travel and long voyages.
That was more than 30 years ago. I have thought of that gift from her and missed it and wanted to have it replaced but never did it.
Last year for Christmas, Shel and the kids gave me a new necklace and St. Christopher’s medallion. It is not exactly the same as the one nan gave me, but it is a gift that I am very grateful for and one that has special meaning for me. Now I have the constant reminder of my nan, as well as the added value of the gift from my family.
When I was 12 years old the journeys I was undertaking were from continent to continent. Now, the journeys I am on are more personal, less geographical,  but I am grateful for this token of protection in ALL of my travels, and extremely grateful for the thoughtfulness of Shel who “reunited” me with this special part of my past – and my future.
 

No comments: